Author Notes: My secrets are orange juice, potato, black mustard seeds, and five spice powder. Trust me, this is not a boring soup! Lots of ginger helps to spice it up even more. If you are watching your weight, it's a great, healthful, flavorful soup that will fill you up with incredibly few calories. Like many soups, it is better the next day, so I recommend making it the day before you would like to serve it. If you prefer a thinner consistency, just add more good-quality vegetable broth. - clintonhillbilly
- 8 carrots
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1 onion
- 2 cubic inches ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Cut carrots and potato into roughly equal size chunks and boil until tender all the way through.
- Meanwhile, chop onions, garlic, and ginger and cook over medium-low heat until onions are translucent and browning.
- Add black mustard seeds and turn to high heat for one minute or until seeds start popping.
- Puree onions, garlic, mustard seeds, ginger, carrots, and potato in a blender and pour into saucepan.
- Add orange juice, broth, five spice powder, and salt and pepper and stir to integrate into soup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe