If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love German food. One of my favorite restaurants,whenever I get up there, is the Austrian Village in Rockledge,PA, and when I go, my order is always the same -- homemade bratwurst, red cabbage and German potato salad. This is not quite as good as the AV's, but it's as close as I've been able to come. It's a good picnic salad, too, because you don't have to worry about mayo spoilage. - Kayb - Kayb
Food52 Review: I've made German Potato Salad before using a recipe out of the big Gourmet cookbook and I have to say that not only is Kayb’s less of a production, it’s got more soul. I was skeptical about using all that bacon fat, but go for it: the sharpness of the vinegar and spicy mustard counter it nicely. Caraway adds a great layer of flavor and the dill lends a fresh zip (though the recipe doesn’t say, I assumed it was to be tossed it in at the end). Tangy and delicious! - Midge
- The Editors
- 2 pounds redskin potatos, cut in wedges or chunks,unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 2 tablespoons spicy German mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Boil potatos in 2 quarts water with 1 teaspoon salt until just barely done. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
- In a small saute pan, render diced bacon until crisp. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, caraway seed and mustard. Add a tablespoon or two of potato cooking water.
- Pour bacon grease and lardons over potatos; add dressing and dill and season with pepper. Toss. Add additional potato cooking water if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad