Author Notes: This is an easily adaptable recipe that my mother and I make when we're together (and apart) and all summer long. It is best when tomatoes and beans are in their peak season. You can put diffent twists on the recipe by changing the cheese, vinegar and herbs. - ColleenT
- 1 pound fresh String Beans (green or wax), trimmed
- 2 cups chopped, fresh Tomato (juices drained)
- 1/2 cup Thinly sliced Red Onion
- 2 cups Garbanzo beans (or one can)
- 6 ounces fresh, cubed Mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Basil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vineagar
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- pepper dashes to taste
- kosher salt dashes to taste, add right before serving.
- Chop tomato into large, bit-sized pieces and let them drain in a colander while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Blanch trimmed beans in boiling water until they are a brilliant green color (about 2-3 min). Remove and plunge into ice water bath, drain.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients (except salt). Mix and let salad cool for about 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator before serving. Add salt to taste right before serving.Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad