If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This started when I saw Bobby Flay on a Throwdown episode the other day. I was completely fascinated with the peanut butter in the BBQ sauce. In fact, I was ready, willing and able (because I had all of the ingredients I needed without going to the store) to make this dish "my way". This is a low-carb, low sodium and low fat dish, suiting everyone's dietary needs! So, without further adieu, this is a loose adaptation of Bobby's "Yucatan Chicken Skewers with Peanut-Red Chile BBQ Sauce and Red Cabbage". - vivisue
Grilled Chicken and Shrimp Skewers
- 5 chicken thighs, halved
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp, tails on
- 20 wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 elephant garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- butter lettuce to serve
- BBQ Sauce (see recipe below)
- Red Cabbage Slaw (see recipe below)
- Skewer each half chicken thigh with 2 skewers so they lay flat. Place chicken in a large shallow baking pan. Do the same with shrimp.
- Whisk orange juice, lime juice, oil, chile powder and garlic. Pour over thighs and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Preheat grill to high or grill pan over high heat.
- Remove thighs from marinade and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Grill the shrimp during the last 5 minutes of cooking the thighs. Cook shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken and shrimp from skewers, place in a butter lettuce leaf, drizzle with BBQ sauce and top with slaw and chopped peanuts.
BBQ Sauce and Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups store bought BBQ sauce (we're gonna make this easy)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, crunchy
- 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo puree
- 1/2 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the BBQ Sauce: Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy 3qt sauce pan. Add ginger and cook until soft. Increase heat to high and add BBQ sauce and chicken stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Whisk in the soy sauce, peanut butter, chipotle puree and cook until thickened, about 20-30 minutes.
- For the Red Cabbage Slaw: Place cabbage and onion in a large bowl. Whisk together the vinegar, orange juice and oil and pour over cabbage. Add cilantro and seaons with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.
Tags: barbecue, barbecue, barbecue, barbecue, barbecue sauce, dinner for two, Easy, entertaining, Healthy, lettuce, low carbohydrate, low carbohydrate, low fat, low sodium, low sodium, marinade, mexican, nutritious, Peanut butter, savory, slaw, wrap
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!