Author Notes: You can make Three Bean Salad from any three beans you like, but the authentic version is a mixture of canned wax, green, and kidney beans, sweet onions, and bell peppers which is marinated in a sweet vinaigrette. This is a classic Southern dish, one that you find in most Junior League and church cookbooks of a certain era in Louisiana, Texas, and parts further South East. Three Bean Salad is great dish for pot-lucks and picnics. This version of Southern Three Bean Salad takes into account that most us prefer fresh vegetables over canned but otherwise, sticks to the age-old formula. Serve it on a warm breezy days under a big tree with a tall sweaty glass of lemonade. - Waverly - Waverly
Food52 Review: Waverly offers a fresh-tasting bean salad, a welcome update from the traditional (canned) three bean salad. I don't care for green bell pepper, so I substituted an orange bell pepper. The sherry vinegar gives a nice depth of flavor to the vinaigrette that permeates the salad. Thumbs up! - Lizthechef - A&M
- 2 cups French green beans, washed, trimmed, and then blanched or steamed to crisp-tender (@ 3 minutes)
- 2 cups wax beans, washed, trimmed, and then blanched or steamed to crisp -tender (@ 3 minutes)
- 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion like Texas 1015, Vidalia, or Walla, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cups sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Combine Vegetables: In a large serving bowl, combine green beans, wax beans, bell pepper, and onion.
- Make Vinaigrette: In a small mixing bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is emulsified/fully combined.
- Marinate the Beans: Pour the vinaigrette over the beans and toss until beans are coated. Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve: Let the salad come to room temperature. Toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad