If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I suppose if this were a true remoulade, it would be full of mayonnaise. I use creme fraiche instead, and just a bit, relatively speaking, which is generously laced with capers and cornichons. You can leave out the cucumbers, the celery and/or the celery root if you don't care for any of them. I like the texture they give to this salad. Either way, enjoy!! ;o) - AntoniaJames - AntoniaJames
Food52 Review: A charming take on potato salad. I couldn't find celeriac, so made the recipe without it. I found the cucumber and celery a terrific crunchy counterpoint to the texture of the potatoes. The creme fraiche combined with mustard, oil and a splash of vinegar made a nice light dressing. I missed the eggy-ness of mayonnaise at first, but the briny capers and cornichons distracted me sufficiently that I kept going back to the fridge for one more forkful. I snipped a bunch of chives over the top and liked the oniony flavor addition. Nice recipe -- great for a barbeque. - MrsWheelbarrow
- The Editors
- One organic Persian cucumber (3/4 cup, diced) (See note below.)
- One pound organic fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- ½ cup celeriac (celery root) diced finely
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche or sour cream (not light)
- 1 tablespoon fruity olive oil
- 6 cornichons (or more, or less, to taste), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons of white wine or champagne vinegar (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, carefully cut as described below (optional)
- Urfa biber (for the non-conformist and adventure seekers among you)
- Dice cucumber and put it in a large bowl (or the salad bowl, if you’re serving this right away). Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt.
- Cover the potato pieces and diced celeriac with cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for about five minutes, until the potatoes are just barely tender.
- While the potatoes and celeriac are cooking, whisk together the mustard, crème fraiche and olive oil. Finely chop the cornichons and capers, add them to the dressing, and stir to combine. Taste it and add a splash or two of vinegar, if you think it would benefit from them.
- When the potatoes and celery root are cooked, drain and put them in a bowl and immediately splash with the vinegar, while still warm. Drain from the bowl with the cucumbers any water that has accumulated. Add it to the bowl with the potatoes and celeriac, along with the celery and the dressing.
- Toss gently. Test for salt and correct, if necessary.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste, and the chopped parsley and/or tarragon. If using tarragon, chop each leaf into no more than three pieces. Any more than that, and it doesn't taste as flavorful. (I cannot remember where I learned that tip, but it's good advice.)
- Sprinkle on a tiny pinch of urfa biber, if using. Gently toss again.
- Enjoy!! ;o)
- Note about cucumbers: If you can't get a good Persian cucumber, use an English or other seedless one. You should peel it if it's not organic. I don't peel the Persians. Their skins are fairly thin, and they add a nice bit of color.
- This salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead of time, but should be refrigerated until about an hour before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
Italian Breakfast Buns
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.