Author Notes: I enjoy really fresh beans, Rocdor yellow, Burgandy, and Jade beans just to name a few, in salads anytime. I am a sucker for them because when really fresh they just taste so good. I want them tender to, don't tell me to blanch them till al dente because I don't want them to squeak my teeth. So once again it is about the ingredients. See Thomas Keller's books for big pot blanching. Something that in the finer restaurants chefs have done for years but Keller has talked about and brought to the home cook. You will never be the same once you start blanching this way. - thirschfeld - thirschfeld
Food52 Review: This was a very simple & delicious recipe. The recipe specifies 2 cups of green and yellow beans -- 2 of each or 2 in total? I ended up using about 1 1/2 cups of each and, based on the photo, I cut the beans into 1 1/2 inch pieces. The dressing was flavorful and brought together the flavors nicely and the minced celery leaves brought a unique flavor to the dish, but I would only use 1 hard-boiled egg next time. This a recipe that I will certainly make again -- nice for summer dinners & potlucks. - sticksnscones - A&M
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cups green and yellow beans, blanched until tender and cooled in an ice water bath
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed well
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup celery stems and leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons chives, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 5 tablespoons walnut oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and pushed through a strainer or minced
- In a small mixing bowl combine the beans, onion, celery, parsley and chives. Add a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- In another small mixing bowl combine the Dijon, vinegar and walnut oil. Add a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. Whisk to combine. If it emulsifies great but it doesn't have too.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and then add the eggs. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Mix and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad