If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a combination of several recipes that I love. The crust is a whole wheat shortbread that is delicious on it's own. The filling is a creamy cheesecake-like concoction and the gastrique on top adds the touch of sherry and basil. Enjoy! —nannydeb
Sherry Basil Gastrique
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (King Arthur)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup powedered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- juice of one lemon
- 1 pound pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a saucepan, cook the sherry, vinegar, and sugar over medium heat until reduced by almost half and has the consistancy of syrup or honey, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Add the minced basil and set aside again.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the whole wheat flour, brown rice flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, mix the flour mixture with the butter until it is a crumbly mixture.
- Pour the crumbly mixture into a tart pan and press to the sides and bottom with your fingers.
- Bake the tart shell for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to get a little golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, blend the eggs, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, milk and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and pour into tart shell.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes or until set. Set aside to cool.
- Arrange the strawberries on top of the tart and drizzle the gastrique on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.