Author Notes: This is a combination of several recipes that I love. The crust is a whole wheat shortbread that is delicious on it's own. The filling is a creamy cheesecake-like concoction and the gastrique on top adds the touch of sherry and basil. Enjoy! - nannydeb
Sherry Basil Gastrique
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (King Arthur)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup powedered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- juice of one lemon
- 1 pound pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- In a saucepan, cook the sherry, vinegar, and sugar over medium heat until reduced by almost half and has the consistancy of syrup or honey, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Add the minced basil and set aside again.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the whole wheat flour, brown rice flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, mix the flour mixture with the butter until it is a crumbly mixture.
- Pour the crumbly mixture into a tart pan and press to the sides and bottom with your fingers.
- Bake the tart shell for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to get a little golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, blend the eggs, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, milk and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and pour into tart shell.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes or until set. Set aside to cool.
- Arrange the strawberries on top of the tart and drizzle the gastrique on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries