Serves about 5 1/2 pint jars
- 3 pounds strawberries/hulled
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Cut any large berries in half. I like my jam to have chunks of fruit so I don't cut the strawberries up much.
- Add the sugar to the strawberries and let sit for 8 hours or overnight. Put them in a non-reactive pan. I use my French copper jam pan.
- Add the lemon juice to the berries and bring to a boil. Boil for about five minutes. Remove from heat and let sit overnight. (Sometimes, my berries have sat for more than one night. Depends on my time constraints.)
- Bring the berries to a boil and boil rapidly for about five to eight minutes. Stir frequently so you don't burn the bottom of the pan. You can skim off the scum if there is a lot. Ladle jam into hot sterile jars and process in hot water bath or freeze.
- You should end up with a tasty jam that has nice consistency and nice chunks of fruit.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries