Author Notes: We received our first CSA delivery with a pint of the most beautiful and delicious strawberries. I didn't have to do anything to them, they were so amazing, so I made a salad with kiwi. The dressing is very forgiving--you can adjust the vinegar and lime juice to your taste, and if you don't have walnut oil, olive oil is fine. I like my salad dressing on the tart side; you may prefer a little more oil. I had fun composing the salad, but of course you could toss it all together and serve it in a bowl instead. - drbabs
For the Salad
- 8 medium-large strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in half
- 2 small kiwi, cut lengthwise into quarters, and then cut into thirds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 small stalk celery with leaves from the innermost heart, cut into small pieces
- 1-2 ounce goat or feta cheese, crumbled
- coarse salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tasted walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
For the Salad Dressing
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- sat and pepper to taste
- Compose the salad: Place the strawberries on 4 plates as shown, and divide the kiwi, shallot, celery and cheese among the four plates, piling up a bit in the center. Sprinkle with walnuts if using, and salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Make the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients together, and taste. Add salt and pepper and adjust as desired.
- Sprinkle dressing over salad and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries