If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This translates into cucumber fresh water and a better name could not be found. Because refreshing with a citrus zing is exactly what this is. I prefer this unsweetened, but I have a friend who adds a tiny touch of honey to his glass, which is nice too (a little vodka wouldn't hurt either!) - SippitySup - Sippity Sup (Greg Henry)
Food52 Review: SippitySup’s agua fresca is refreshing and soothing all at once! The cucumber-infused ice keeps the drink chilly without watering it down. Touches of thinly sliced citrus, cucumber and verbena add the uplifting flavors of summer, and layering the slices results in a very pretty pitcher drink. I suggest adding the verbena according to taste, as it has a concentrated zest. If the verbena is difficult to find, you can add thick slices lemon zest. Don't have a mandolin? Don’t sweat! I used a sharp knife to slice my cucumbers thin. It’s also great with fizzy mineral water and I second SippitySup’s idea of adding teensiest dash of vodka (or gin!). - gabrielaskitchen
Serves 1 gallon
- 2 seedless English cucumbers
- 1 gallon still mineral water
- 2 lemons, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 orange cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 bunch whole lemon verbena, leaves only
- Peel and roughly chop one of the cucumbers. Add the pieces to a large pitcher and fill the pitcher with 1/2 gallon of the water. Set it aside to steep about 20 minutes. Then strain the mixture and pour it into ice cube trays. Move them to the freezer to completely freeze.
- When ready to serve, use a mandoline to thinly slice the remaining cucumber discarding both ends.
- Add the cucumber infused ice cubes to a very large jar, pitcher or punch bowl, along with the thinly sliced cucumber, lemon and orange slices.
- Add the lemon verbena leaves a few at a time, rolling them between your fingers as you go to slightly bruise them. Add the remaining mineral water.
- Serve in tall glasses, scooping in plenty of the cucumber ice cubes and 1 or 2 slices of the steeped cucumber or citrus as garnish.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe