If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not quite a pickle and not quite a salad these Turkish flavors could grace your meze table in a Middle Eastern feast. - SippitySup —Sippity Sup (Greg Henry)
Food52 Review: The cucumbers and fennel in this recipe are wonderfully spiced. The tart, almost-pickles come out with the perfect amount of snap. The spicy cucumbers would be great on any meze platter. - Stephanie
- 1 pound very young cucumbers or better yet, Persian cucumbers
- 2 very young fennel bulbs
- 3 Thai bird chilis or similar hot pepper
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste) optional
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- olive oil to taste
- Cut your cucumber into 1/2-inch spears. You may need to quarter or half them. Young Persian cucumbers can often be left whole. You are looking for uniformity, so use your judgment.
- Trim the fennel bulbs evenly, and cut them lengthwise into quarters. retain the fronds for garnish. Remove some of the core, keeping the layers intact. Slice these into 1/2-inch slices.
- Put the cucumbers, fennel, Thai chilis and garlic cloves into a low-sided large baking dish.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to a large, non-reactive, saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool some for about 5 minutes. Then poor the hot liquid over the cucumber fennel mixture, stirring to coat well. The liquid should nearly cover all the ingredients. If not add a bit more water.
- Let the mixture cool completely. You may then cover the dish and move it into the refrigerator. They will be ready to eat in about 4 hours, but will be at their best if you wait until the next day before eating them. Serve chilled on a family style platter with a bit of the marinade and a good drizzle of fruity olive oil. Garnish with fennel fronds.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
Stress-Eat These Snacks
They're "True Detective" marathon approved
Stress-eat snacks for "True Detective."
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.