If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This steak gets a double dose of lemon and thyme - the steak is seasoned with a preserved lemon thyme salt before grilling and finished with preserved lemon thyme compound butter. I recommend that you serve this with some grilled mushrooms mixed with a little of the leftover compound butter. - melissav - melissav
Food52 Review: You really can't go wrong with great steaks, salt, and butter. I happened to have some great prime rib-eyes and they came out delicious. They reminded me of the the steaks served at Peter Luger, which are also bathed in butter. The preserved lemon came through, but I thought the salt was really the key. My daughter Casey, a vegetarian of 3 days, gobbled up the steaks as well. - Alain
- The Editors
Preserved Lemon Thyme Salt and Steak
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoons preserved lemon peel, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon thyme
- NY Strips, or your favorite steak, 1 per person
- Mix the ingredients together in a small dish. It is best to make this in advance and let it sit to develop the flavors. I made it the night before.
- 1 hour before dinner time, take the steaks out of the fridge and season with the Preserved Lemon Thyme Salt. Use about 1.5 tsp per pound of meat. Make sure to season each side and press into the meat. Let sit at room temperature for an hour.
- Heat the grill. Grill over medium high heat until desired temperature is reached - about 3 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Top with a slice of the compound butter (recipe below).
- Dig in!
Preserved Lemon and Thyme Compound Butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2.5 teaspoons preserved lemon, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix the ingredients and place on a piece of saran wrap. Roll up into a log and place in the fridge. I make it the night before so the flavors have time to blend.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Lemon, Thyme and a Grill
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.