If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: To me, the best part of carry out Thai food is the little plastic cup of pickled cucumbers that accompanies chicken sate. For years, the sate was a staple in our house for last minute carry out dinners as it was a favorite of my kids. As the only pickled veggie lover in the house, I got to eat all the cucumbers. Now that we don't carry out quite so often, I sometimes crave the pickled cucumbers. This is a great complement to noodle dishes as well - peanut chicken or Singapore noodles. —healthierkitchen
Serves 4 -6 as a condiment
- 3 baby or Persian cucumbers, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1/2 - 1 hot red pepper (I use a red jalapeño which is a little milder - if you want real heat use a Thai bird chili). I like just a little heat so I use half the pepper and no seeds, but feel free to add from there!
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (not seasoned)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- Mix the diced cucumber, onion, and pepper in a small bowl. Add the vinegar, sugar and the pinch of salt and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Let stand about 1/2 hour to let the flavors imbue the cucumber just enough. Too long and the cucumbers lose their bright color and crispness.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
A Grain of Truth
When to switch up salts
The truth about salt swaps.
Our recent favorite recipes.
It's time to travel.
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
Put cake on a pedestal.