Author Notes: To me, the best part of carry out Thai food is the little plastic cup of pickled cucumbers that accompanies chicken sate. For years, the sate was a staple in our house for last minute carry out dinners as it was a favorite of my kids. As the only pickled veggie lover in the house, I got to eat all the cucumbers. Now that we don't carry out quite so often, I sometimes crave the pickled cucumbers. This is a great complement to noodle dishes as well - peanut chicken or Singapore noodles. - healthierkitchen
Serves 4 -6 as a condiment
- 3 baby or Persian cucumbers, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1/2 - 1 hot red pepper (I use a red jalapeño which is a little milder - if you want real heat use a Thai bird chili). I like just a little heat so I use half the pepper and no seeds, but feel free to add from there!
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (not seasoned)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- Mix the diced cucumber, onion, and pepper in a small bowl. Add the vinegar, sugar and the pinch of salt and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Let stand about 1/2 hour to let the flavors imbue the cucumber just enough. Too long and the cucumbers lose their bright color and crispness.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe