If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Due to a surplus of home-grown cucumbers, my mom always had a giant vat of quick-pickles in the refrigerator. It doubled as a quick side dish/salad in a pinch, and always reminds me of summer. My version has some different flavors - lots of garlic, some soy sauce, and a hint of spice. - apartmentcooker - erinmcdowell
Food52 Review: Apartmentcooker's quick pickles are a delightful Asian-inspired break from traditional kosher dills. Sour, salty and sweet are in a very agreeable balance, and the dose of red curry lends to a sneaky, but comfortable, dose of spiciness that catches you at the end of each bite. We enjoyed this pickle alongside sesame rice noodles, with lots of fresh cilantro. If you prefer a lot of crunch, consider slicing your cucumbers just a tad thicker than suggested. - Jennifer Ann - The Editors
Makes about 3 cups
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a colander, toss the cucumber slices with the salt. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Squeeze the cucumebers gently to remove excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, curry paste, and garlic. Add the cucumbers, carrots, and onions and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate the mixture, and let sit, tossing occasionally for at least 2 hours and up to 2-3 days. The mixture will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days - the flavor will continue to intensify as it sits. When ready to eat, add the cilantro and toss to combine.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.