Author Notes: I remember the first time I came across a recipe for broccoli pesto. As a mom with a house full of broccoli-lovers, I thought it was a great concept. So I developed my own broccoli pesto and combined it with another of our family favorites--flatbread--for a meal we all go crazy for. - sjpoff
Serves 4-6 (6 if they are kids)
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole wheat
- 4 cups frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Position oven rack to lowest position and preheat to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet well with oil or cooking spray.
- Cook broccoli in about 1" of boiling water until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Place broccoli in a food processor or blender with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Pulse until it is the consistency of pesto.
- Spread dough onto baking sheet. Spread broccoli pesto over the dough and top with mushrooms. Layer mozzarella cheese slices over it and finish off with Parmesan.
- Bake until the bottom is crispy and the cheese is starting to bubble, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella