Author Notes: Have all the ingredients ready and at hand before you begin.
You should not read the cooking method from a paper, while cooking.
Know what to do and when to add each item, before you begin.
Do not begin until you are sure of yourself.
Check the date of expiry of the Tomato sauce and soy sauce before opening
Try and get fresh vegetables, and make sure the tomato is 'JUST' ripe, nice
and RED and not BRUISED.
The Capsicum too should feel firm and must cut crisply when you slice it. - pauljoseph
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 3 Cloves crushed garlic
- 4 Green chillies (cut into small rounds)
- 1 Capsicum (can be green or other color) chopped into small bits
- 3 medium-sized onions, chopped into same size small bits as the capsicum
- 6-8 Tomatoes, cut into small chunks
- 2 teaspoons Pepper Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 cups (400 ml) Hot water
- 1 Medium-sized bottle (250 ml ought to do...get SAUCE, not KETCHUP)
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- Salt to taste (you will need maybe two level teaspoons, but add one spoon at a time)
- Burger Buns
- Heat oil in the pan, over a medium flame. Medium flame
- means half way on the adjusting knob of the gas burner.
- Using the ladle, or by swirling the pan, spread the warm oil to coat the bottom and some part of the sides.
- When the oil begins to smoke a little bit, take the vessel away from the flame. But DO NOT PUT OUT THE FIRE.
- Add the crushed garlic, give it one or two stirs, and return to the fire.
- Put in the green chillies, and stir briskly. When you observe the chili starting to turn a light green or whitish color (In less than a minute after you have added them), add the chopped onions, and stir a few times.
- Leave to cook through for a minute, and when the onion turns a little bit soft,
- put in the capsicum, and cook for three minutes, till that too turns a bit softish.
- Put in the tomato, the sugar, and the pepper, stir well, cover the vessel and allow to cook for three more minutes. (Meanwhile put water in a pan to boil.)
- After three minutes, remove the lid and pour in the hot water, the water need not boil because we only need very hot water.
- Bring the flame to HIGH and allow the mix to boil for half a minute.
- Then reduce the flame to the point where the boiling stops and the mixture is just spluttering lightly.
- Observe the level of the sauce (It is now a sauce), and allow it to cook .
- After some time the water will evaporate.
- We want to add the tomato sauce and the soy sauce when the sauce has reduced to half the volume that was there after we added the water.
- So pour in the tomato and soy sauce at that point. And Stir Well.
- Add salt... and more salt if you want, but keep on the safe side and have less than you feel is right, because we can always add more later.
- Now let’s allow the sauce to cook through and through, and it will become nice and shiny. The vegetable particles will again become visible.
- And that’s when the mix is ready to serve. Serving
- Cut the buns in halves like we do when we make Burgers at home.
- Toast the insides (the side that was cut with the knife), on a skillet (or the flat iron we make chapattis).
- Pour some cooked sauce on a half, cover with the other half, and serve. (Today we serve over an omelet)
- You will need plates though, because after all Sloppy Joes are SLOPPY!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish