Author Notes: I wanted to make a savory summer soup that is also dark like beets, but with a twist. So I decided to try cherries. Since this is not a cooked soup, you will definitely want to use a sweet fresh cherry. - Sagegreen
- 1/2 pound dark red sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2-3 tablespoons pinot noir, optional
- 1 teaspoon kirschwasser (optional)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black or pink pepper
- splash of fresh lemon juice
- garnish with a lemon verbena leaf
- dolup of thick Greek yogurt or cream fraiche, optional
- Blend the pitted cherries, onions, cucumbers, optional wine /kirsch, and vinegar in a blender or food processor.
- Season to taste. Squeeze in a bit of fresh lemon juice.
- Chill and then serve with an optional dolup of Greek yogurt or creme fraiche; garnish with lemon verbena (or other herb).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries