If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have recently become somewhat, well, obsessed with making jam. So of course I had to make a cherry jam this week. Cherries and all things almond - such a great combo .... you can choose to can this jam or just make it and keep it in the fridge, up to you! I did a little of both. I also realize that it is a pain in the rump to pit 8 cups of cherries - just go to the zen place in your mind and be a pitting machine. Wear an apron. - aargersi
Serves 8 4oz jars plus another big jar for the fridge
- 8 cups cherries - pitted and stemmed (about 3 lbs - ish)
- 1/2 cup amaretto
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1.75 oz package NO SUGAR NEEDED pectin
- 1 tablespoon fruit fresh
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- This is so easy, put a spoon in the freezer - then just put everything but the pectin in a large saucepan and bring it to a boil, add the pectin just as it is starting to boil. Stir it down and simmer for 5 minutes or so. You can use a potato masher to break the cherries up some as they boil. Dribble a bit of the liquid down the back of the frozen spoon, if it looks jammy, you are ready!
- ** CANNING STEPS ** if you choose to can - wash the jars and put them in a single layer in a big pot and boil them for 10 minutes (I do this while I am working on the jam). Turn off the heat and remove them to drain / dry on a clean tea towel. Drop the flat top things into the hot (not boiling) water. As you fill each clean warm dry jar, wipe the rim, cover with a disc, and screw a ring on - not too tight. When they are all jarred, back into the pot to boil for 10 more minutes then back onto the tea towel to cool. You will hear the pop pop pop as they seal. That's it!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.