If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is savory rice dish with the color yellow as the inspiration. I love the sweet taste of the Rainier cherry with the "sour-ness" of the lemon and "tanginess" of the spiced rice. Alternatively, dried cranberries could be used in place of the cherries. - Sagegreen
- 1 tablespoon EVOO (or regular olive oil)
- 1 cup rice, rinsed (basmati)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup of half and half (for a nondairy version, use water)
- 10 Rainier yellow cherries, pitted, fresh or canned, or 20 dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cardamon pods, smashed
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- zest of 1 lemon
- sprig of thyme
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sprinkle with extra black sesame seeds for garnish
- 3 generous tablespoons chopped cilantro, scallion, and flat leaf parsley on top
- Spoon the olive oil in a heavy pan.
- Add everything else, except the lemon juice and the garnishes. Allow all to rest together for about 20 minutes.
- Bring the pot to a boil, lower the heat to medium, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the fresh lemon juice. Season to taste. Add the fresh chopped herbs on top. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and savor. Serve cold or warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries