Author Notes: Just experimenting with salads and fresh cherries. I think nuts and cheese round out the cherry in a salad. Add just a hint of anchovy for depth. I am trying to play up the strong complementary colors here along with the contrast of textures and tastes. At the same time I am trying to keep this simple and easy. This is a small portion size given here, which you can easily multiply. - Sagegreen
- 1 ounce champagne vinegar
- 2 ounces EVOO
- any reserve juice from pitting the cherries
- 1 tablespoon tart cherry jam
- 1/8 teaspoon dijon mustard
- one tiny babyfingernail sized piece of anchovy
- zest of lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Smoosh the tiny anchovy piece up with the olive oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a shaker. Use about 2-3 tbl. per serving.
The cherry salad
- several torn red lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup pitted sweet red cherries
- 1/2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 ounce pecan halves
- 2 ounces Bulgarian sheep's feta cheese
- 3 tiny fingernail size anchovy pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley chopped
- juice of a 1/2 lemon
- Line the serving bowl with the lettuce leaves.
- Add all of the ingredients on top.
- Toss gently with 2-3 tbl. of the dressing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries