If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Well my Hungarian grandmother never made salmon, but she cooked just about everything with sour cream and sweet smoked paprika. I have added dill, capote capers and Rainier cherries to this dish. The middle photo shows a close up of the sauce.This is what is on my table for lunch today. - Sagegreen - Sagegreen
Food52 Review: I don't know how Sagegreen came up with this combo, but we've found a new favorite for salmon! The cherries and capers create a nice yin-yang of salty and sweet, with the smoked paprika leaving a nice finish. It's an added bonus that this is quick to make. – FrozenFoodie - The Editors
The cherry paprikash sauce
- 3 ounces sour cream or premium thick plain Greek yogurt, fage
- 4 ounces EVOO
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons premium capote capers
- 8 Rainier yellow cherries, chopped and pitted, using all the juice
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Whisk the sour cream with the olive oil.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients. Keep cool.
- oil for searing (grapeseed or olive)
- 8 ounces fresh salmon steak fillet
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground green peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cup red onion sliced into rings and halved
- 2/3 cup Rainier cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup white wine
- dill for garnish
- 4 lemon wedges
- pinch of kosher salt
- Heat a heavy pan (using high heat).
- Add a light amount of a good cooking oil.
- Sprinkle the salmon with paprika and ground pepper.
- Quickly sear the salmon on both sides so that it is crusty on the outside but still all pink inside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions and cherries.
- Add the wine and reduce. Don't overcook the salmon: keep it at least a little pink inside, if not more.
- Add salt. Ready to plate: Add some hot onions and cherries over the salmon. Spoon the cool cherry sauce on top. Garnish with dill and lemon wedges.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.