Author Notes: This is so yummy in a bread bowl with a green salad... Every time I make this it tastes better and better. - Shanti
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cups evaporated skimmed milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine onion, celery, garlic and apple juice in a large soup pot. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add squash, potato, stock, bay leaf, thyme, salt and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the soup pot from heat, squash and potatoes should be very soft. Working in batches, puree the soup with the evaporated skimmed milk in a blender or food processor. Reheat gently. Add salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe