If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many years ago my Dad owned a produce market in the Bronx in NYC. We as kids never knew what it was to eat a canned vegetable. When Dad retired and we moved to New Jersey "THE GARDEN STATE" he decided to grow his own garden, and Zucchini was always a part of the Summer Crop. This Recipe was created by my Mom who passed away 2 years ago. She used to make it regularly during the summer months when Zucchini was plentiful. It is very flavorful and easy to make, can be served for a summer luncheon with a salad or as side dish with dinner. It can also be frozen for future use. —Jillie
- 3 Small Zucchini diced, save one half of one zucchini to slice in circles for the top of the pie
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 Fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup Grated Locatelli Cheese
- 1/2 pound Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 pound Italian Sweet Sausage removed from the casing
- 1 pound Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Brown sausage, remove from pan and toss with flour
- Dice up 2 1/2 zucchinis, onion and garlic and brown in pan
- Mix ricotta, basil, pepper, egg and locatelli cheese in a separate bowl.
- In a 9 inch square glass pan layer ground sausage, and zucchini mixture
- Top with ricotta mixture smoothing over top of entire pan
- Top with round slices of zucchini
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes
- Take out of the oven and top with shredded mozzarella broil until cheese melts and turns golden brown about 1 to 2 minutes
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with a Side Salad and Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe