Author Notes: It's a variation on my go-to "kitchen sink" recipe using italian sausage, parmesan and bread crumbs and can be baked in the oven or on the grill in the summer! This uses mexican chorizo for a smoky and spicy kick! - SharonPhillips
Makes 2 stuffed halves
- 1 7" or larger zucchini
- 1/4 pound crumbled, cooked mexican chorizo
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- olive oil
- Slice zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out seeds with spoon, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch of flesh. Turn onto paper towels, cut side down while preparing filling.
- Mix remaining ingredients except oil in a medium size bowl.
- Stuff into zucchini firmly. Place on greased (or foil-lined) baking sheet. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes or until stuffing is golden and zucchini has softened slightly (use a toothpick to pierce squash-timing depends on size of squash). Or bake on closed grill over indirect heat for same amount of time.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe