Author Notes: A family friend made this when we visited her Tuscan villa, as part of a meal that also included wild arugula picked from the hillside, and oil and vinegar from her olives and grapes. Needless to say it’s never tastes quite as good in my plebeian kitchen, but it’s still pretty yummy! - ody
- 4-5 small firm zucchinis, sliced in rounds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- On medium heat, sauté the onions in the oil until softened and beginning to brown, about five minutes.
- Add zucchini and sauté until cooked to your taste, 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high, give the pan a minute or two to get really hot, pushing the zucchini to the side. Add the vinegar and sugar to the center of the pan, stir a few times to incorporate, and take off the heat.
- Season to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe