If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish combines a summer vegetable with the great cooling effect of poppy seeds--a perfect combination! —Grey Haired Gourmet
Serves 4-6 as a side dish
- 3 medium size zucchini
- 2 tablespoons Poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine poppy seeds and mustard seeds in a small bowl, cover with cold water and soak overnight or for a day.
- When you are ready to start cooking, drain the water from the poppy-mustard seed mixture. Wash and cut the zucchinis into small cubes.
- Add 1/4 cup water in a blender and run it at a high speed. Slowly add the soaked poppy and mustard seeds in the running mixer using a teaspoon. Run the blender for a minute or so after adding all the poppy and mustard seeds until it becomes a thick paste.
- Pour the oil in a large frying pan and heat on medium high. When the oil is hot put the onion seeds in the pan and after about five seconds add the cubed zucchini. Fry the zucchini in medium heat for about five minutes and then pour the poppy and mustard seed paste on the zucchini. Add the salt and turmeric. Mix using a large spoon.
- Put the lid on the frying pan and cook for another five to seven minutes. Add a little bit of water if the mix gets too dry during the cooking. The preparation should be moist but not runny. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.