If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This easy salad combines sweet zucchini with nutty chickpeas and tart green apples. Tied together with fragrant curry powder and creamy yogurt, lemon juice and fresh herbs add bright contrasting notes. This salad would make a great side for a celebratory barbecue or picnic.
Note: Don't look too hard for the green apples in the photo...it was a last minute addition, and unfortunately the salad was consumed before a camera could snap another picture. Please do not leave them out; they add a wonderful contrasting crunch and tart sweetness that I think makes the salad special. - gingerroot —gingerroot
Food52 Review: I can't imagine a better picnic dish. This salad, a particularly attractive study in greens, is simple and straightforward to make, with a fabulous variety of textures and flavors -- apples, zucchini and chickpeas -- that all come together in the surprisingly creamy curry sauce. I'd never have imagined only one tablespoon of yogurt could produce such an effect! - nogaga —nogaga
Serves 6 as a side
- 1 small zucchini, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed in a colander (canned are okay)
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (including tender stems), minced
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- Scant 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup green apple, small dice
- sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Trim stem end of zucchini and discard. Halve lengthwise. Quarter each zucchini half lengthwise, making skinny wedges and chop.
- Heat oil over medium heat in small sauté pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add zucchini and sauté till zucchini begins to soften, about five minutes.
- Add curry powder and season with a pinch of sea salt, stirring to combine. Cook for 1 minute more. Take pan off heat and set aside.
- Transfer chickpeas from colander to a medium sized bowl. Add parsley, cilantro, yogurt, lemon juice, scallions and green apple.
- Fold curried zucchini into chickpea mixture. Stir to combine, seasoning with salt and black pepper to taste. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, allow salad to sit out a bit to take chill off and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.