Author Notes: This is a recipe I put out on a big tray when people are coming over and serve with a big cutting board of warm bread. Great when everyone gathers around in the kitchen! - PegLawrence
Serves a crowd
- 8 ounces Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 Lg. Tomatoes (beefsteak or Roma)
- 3-4 Avocados
- 4 ounces Bleu cheese crumbles
- 2 pkgs. of fresh basil (or appx.20 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- Ground pepper to taste
- You will need a LARGE tray for this! Cut mozzarella cheese and tomatoes into 1/4" slices. Layer tomatoes on the tray with slice of mozzarella on top and top each one with a basil leaf. Crumble bleu cheese and layer over tomatoes and cheese. Slice avocado into small crescent moon shapes and layer it on the mixture. In a a small bowl, mix olive oil and balsamic and drizzle over tomato mixture. Sprinkle ground pepper. Serve immediately.
- Note: If you want to chill for guest arrival, do not slice or put avocado on until last and drizzle the balsalmic mixture on right before serving. The best way to store a large tray to chill is to dampen paper towels and lay over the mixture. This will keep it cooler and keep it from drying out. I love this with a big loaf of bread but that is not necessary! Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil