Basil is usually paired with mozzarella cheese but this chunky pasta salad marries basil with blue cheese. The chicken meat absorbs the sweet juice from fresh pears. A simple vinaigrette of Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, and honey brings together the entire ensemble with a medley of complimentary flavors.
- Garden Gate Kate
- 1 pound whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pears, quartered and cored
- 1/4 pound crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn in half
- Cook pasta according to package directions. When fusilli is done, drain in a colander and chill under cold running water. Drain again.
- In a large bowl, stir together Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Add chicken, pears, blue cheese, basil leaves, and fusilli. Toss and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil