Author Notes: I love savory breakfasts, and often make twists on traditionally sweet recipes for breakfast (like cheddar-leek-bacon waffles.) This was born from some leftover ham and boredom one Sunday morning. The heavy cream gives it a hint of creme brulee texture, but of course you can make it with something lighter like 2% milk. - kamileon
Food52 Review: Just think of this as strata gone wild. Kamileon has concocted a rich, custardy bread pudding containing everything but the kitchen sink that somehow doesn’t feel overwrought. A couple of details really make this dish stand out. First, you toast the bread cubes before combining them with the rest of the ingredients, which ensures a crunchy top layer. Second, you add raw, chopped shallot, which mellows slightly in the oven but still retains a nice, subtle kick. Prosciutto, goat cheese and parmesan make any additional salt gratuitous, while sliced mushrooms and copious amounts of fresh thyme give the bread pudding some depth. We found that mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl before putting them in the baking dish helped prevent spillover, and our bread pudding spent a mere 25 minutes in the oven. If you poke it in the center, and it bounces back, you know it’s set! – A&M - A&M
- 3 cups diced bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces chevre, finely crumbled
- 3 ounces prosciutto, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 shallot, minced
- 4 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere or parmesan (optional)
- Toast bread cubes in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or so, stirring halfway through. Leave oven on at 350.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and cream until thoroughly blended.
- In a 9x9 square baking pan, toss together bread cubes, prosciutto, shallot, mushrooms, thyme, and pepper.
- Gently stir in chevre.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes.
- If desired, garnish with a shredded cheese such as parmesan or gruyere, for a golden crust.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into center reads above 145 degrees.
- Your Best Brunch Eggs Contest Winner!