If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The zucchini challenge may be long over, but the surplus of zucchini lives on. I adapted this from a buttermilk-wheat quickbread recipe in the book Vegetariana (circa 1984). It's great with a cup of coffee or tea, and freezes well. - drbabs
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon bran
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped into small pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, bran, oatmeal, baking powder, flax seeds, wheat germ, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Stir the buttermilk, agave syrup, oil, vanilla and beaten eggs together until well blended. Fold in the zucchini, add the wet ingredients to the dry, and fold together till well-blended. Fold in the walnuts and raisins (if using).
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans and smooth the tops. Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.