If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This breakfast sandwich is tangy, silky and salty. It's served best on a fresh ciabatta roll, so if you can find take and bake rolls I suggest that. Quality bacon is key to this recipe - uncured, local bacon is my preference. —pipsplate
Food52 Review: WHO: pipsplate is a user experience planner from Minneapolis who is a master at entertaining.
WHAT: The perfect breakfast sandwich.
HOW: Toast your ciabatta roll, poach your egg, crisp up your bacon, dress your greens, and assemble.
WHY WE LOVE IT: When it comes to breakfast sandwiches, it doesn't get much better than this. The greens and poached egg make this classier than your typical bacon & egg sandwich -- and the vinegar in the dressing is key in balancing out all that rich and salty. We highly suggest making this right now. —The Editors
- 2 fresh ciabatta rolls
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 pieces uncured bacon
- 2 handfuls curly endive, frisee or other bitter salad green
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- If you have take and bake ciabatta rolls, follow the directions on the package to warm up.
- Slice rolls in half and spread butter on each half. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and toast each roll half. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make the dressing for the greens: combine 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon mayo. Whisk this together until well combined. Roughly chop the greens and toss with dressing.
- Fill a medium saute pan with about 2 inches of water and bring to a slow boil. When water is boiling, add one egg and poach. Keep the water to a low boil and, using a spoon, gently spoon hot water over the top of the egg to cook it. Cook each egg for about 1 minute for over easy.
- Assemble the sandwich: on one half of each roll layer 2 slices of bacon, 1 egg, and half of the greens. Top with the other roll half.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.