If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Whenever I think of heirloom tomatoes, I think of last year's local roadside vegetable and fruit stand that had a huge sign listing the available produce...including HERLOOM TOMATOES. (I have become a terrible speller myself...too much red wine?) This tomato recipe produces an intense sweet, salty, spicy tomato condiment that is delicious on sandwiches, salads or just as an side to the main course. Use all the ingredients somewhat lightly so as not to overshadow the luscious flavor of the fresh heirloom/herloom tomatoes. - dymnyno
Food52 Review: We enjoyed these with supper and were not disappointed! I found that turning up my oven to 225 degrees ensured the promised caramelizing. My oven is on its last legs, so, perhaps had I the stove I deserve, 175 degrees may well have done the trick. Thumbs up! - Lizthechef - The Editors
- heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- tablespoons ultra fine sugar
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
- olive oil, very good quality
- Cut off the stem end of the tomato and then slice it into approximately 1/2 inch slices.
- When all the tomatoes are sliced, place them on a rimmed sheet pan.
- Brush or drizzle olive oil over each tomato slice.
- Mix the sugar and the salt together. Sprinkle some of the sugar/salt mixture on each tomato.
- In a mortar, grind the peppercorn until very crushed but not totally pulverized, a rustic sort of grind.
- Sprinkle some green peppercorns on each tomato slice.
- Put the pan of tomatoes into a 175 degree oven for about 3 hours. The tomatoes will still be juicy and they will be caramelized. They are great hot or cold.
- Please note that this recipe does not dry out the tomatoes...it simply concentrates the juice and the flavors for use as a condiment on sandwiches, crostini , as a garnish or by themselves.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Behind the scenes.