Author Notes: A simple recipe that allows the natural sunkissed flavor of heirlooms to shine through for a fresh light dish. - Christy Greene
- 4 large Heirloom tomato's (your choice)
- 1 bunch fresh italian basil
- 8-16 ounces Buffalo mozzarella packed in whey
- 8 ounces Aged Balsamic Vinegar (from Modena Italy)
- 1 pinch ground sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups simmering water and large slotted spoon
- Pour Balsamic vinegar in a ceramic coffee cup place in the microwave and cover with napkin. Cook on high 1 min. then continue cooking for 30 second intervals until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- While that is heating use your slotted spoon to dip heirloom tomato's one at a time into the simmering water for 5 seconds. Remove and Cool tomato's immediately under cold running water. Skin will be loose and will easily peel off by hand.
- Peel and slice tomato's into 1/2 inch slices.
- Drain buffalo mozzarella and slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- Fan sliced tomato's and alternate each slice with a slice of mozzarella.
- Rinse, pluck from stem, and stack 6 - 8 basil leaves. Roll tightly into a cigarette shape and thinly slice the cross grain to chiffonade the basil.
- Sprinkle top of heirloom tomato and mozzarella fans with Basil, (ground) Sea Salt & Pepper and a fine drizzle of balsamic syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes