Author Notes: Two years ago, we tore out our lawn and planted a veggie garden. Heirloom tomatoes topped our dream list of things to grow.The following summer I trimmed back one of our own heirloom vines loaded down with heavy fruit and broke a few precious branches. Even though the tomatoes were far from ripe, I couldn't toss out our homegrown bounty. I thought... Fried Green Tomatoes! This recipe may clog your arteries just reading it, so beware... - yummy supper - yummy supper
Food52 Review: This sandwich is a great take on the BLT and a creative use of fried green tomatoes! I made the BLATs for friends, and got rave reviews from everyone. One component didn't overpower the next, and the fried green tomatoes really stood up to the bacon. Also, I loved that the recipe had me fry the tomatoes in the bacon grease... extra (artery clogging.. mmm) flavor, and a nice use of resources. I slathered the bread rolls with Amanda's milk mayo, which added just the right amount of garlicky, lemony flavor. I would definitely make these again -- they could easily be taken in different directions (more spices added to cornmeal breading, additional sauces, etc). - Loves Food Loves to Eat - A&M
Serves 4 sandwiches
- 4 fresh sandwich rolls, sliced in half
- 8 slices cripsy bacon
- 4 pieces butter lettuce
- 2 avocados, pealed and sliced
- 2 green heirloom tomatoes
- mayonnaise (homemade if possible)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cook bacon in a large cast iron pan until crispy. Set bacon aside on paper towels.
- Keep cast iron pan and bacon drippings hot on the stove top.
- Slice green tomatoes into 1/4 inch slabs.
- First, dip tomato slabs in shallow bowl of flour to lightly coat.
- Next, dip tomatoes into a shallow bowl with lightly beaten egg.
- Finally, coat the tomatoes in cornmeal.
- Fry tomatoes in hot bacon drippings. Cook for about 3 minutes on a side. Sprinkle each slice of tomato with salt and freshly ground pepper
- Assemble sandwich: slice roll in half; slather each slice with homemade mayo; add crispy bacon, slices of avocado, fried tomato, and butter lettuce.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes