If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Two years ago, we tore out our lawn and planted a veggie garden. Heirloom tomatoes topped our dream list of things to grow.The following summer I trimmed back one of our own heirloom vines loaded down with heavy fruit and broke a few precious branches. Even though the tomatoes were far from ripe, I couldn't toss out our homegrown bounty. I thought... Fried Green Tomatoes! This recipe may clog your arteries just reading it, so beware... - yummy supper —yummy supper
Food52 Review: This sandwich is a great take on the BLT and a creative use of fried green tomatoes! I made the BLATs for friends, and got rave reviews from everyone. One component didn't overpower the next, and the fried green tomatoes really stood up to the bacon. Also, I loved that the recipe had me fry the tomatoes in the bacon grease... extra (artery clogging.. mmm) flavor, and a nice use of resources. I slathered the bread rolls with Amanda's milk mayo, which added just the right amount of garlicky, lemony flavor. I would definitely make these again -- they could easily be taken in different directions (more spices added to cornmeal breading, additional sauces, etc). - Loves Food Loves to Eat —The Editors
Serves 4 sandwiches
- 4 fresh sandwich rolls, sliced in half
- 8 slices cripsy bacon
- 4 pieces butter lettuce
- 2 avocados, pealed and sliced
- 2 green heirloom tomatoes
- mayonnaise (homemade if possible)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Cook bacon in a large cast iron pan until crispy. Set bacon aside on paper towels.
- Keep cast iron pan and bacon drippings hot on the stove top.
- Slice green tomatoes into 1/4 inch slabs.
- First, dip tomato slabs in shallow bowl of flour to lightly coat.
- Next, dip tomatoes into a shallow bowl with lightly beaten egg.
- Finally, coat the tomatoes in cornmeal.
- Fry tomatoes in hot bacon drippings. Cook for about 3 minutes on a side. Sprinkle each slice of tomato with salt and freshly ground pepper
- Assemble sandwich: slice roll in half; slather each slice with homemade mayo; add crispy bacon, slices of avocado, fried tomato, and butter lettuce.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Have Towel, Will Travel
We give it 8 tentacles up
We give it 8 tentacles up.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Freestyle berry jam.
Octopi my heart.