If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The only question here is salt or no salt? - Sippity Sup (Greg Henry)
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes in different sizes, colors and textures
- very good olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- a scattering of lemon basil leaves left whole, to taste
- Choose a great variety of tomatoes for this recipe. Variable tastes and textures will add a lot of interest to this salad.
- Start by slicing the tomatoes between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Again vary the thicknesses slightly to get a more interesting texture. Very small tomatoes may be halved or quartered. There is no "right way".
- Arrange the slices attractively on a platter. Season them generously with salt and pepper, drizzle the olive oil over the top. Be generous because the oil combines with the juices to make a delicious dressing. Tuck the whole lemon basil in attractively here and there over the top of the tomatoes. Let this stand at room temperature at least 20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.