Author Notes: The only question here is salt or no salt? - SippitySup
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes in different sizes, colors and textures
- very good olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- a scattering of lemon basil leaves left whole, to taste
- Choose a great variety of tomatoes for this recipe. Variable tastes and textures will add a lot of interest to this salad.
- Start by slicing the tomatoes between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Again vary the thicknesses slightly to get a more interesting texture. Very small tomatoes may be halved or quartered. There is no "right way".
- Arrange the slices attractively on a platter. Season them generously with salt and pepper, drizzle the olive oil over the top. Be generous because the oil combines with the juices to make a delicious dressing. Tuck the whole lemon basil in attractively here and there over the top of the tomatoes. Let this stand at room temperature at least 20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes