If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While I like traditional cooked tomato soup as much as the next person, I think this raw tomato basil soup is even better, especially when you can make it with seasonal organic tomatoes. It’s a bit like a gazpacho, but with a paired down list of ingredients. It’s also easier to make than most gazpacho recipes. I grow a very large variety of heirloom tomatoes in my garden, so I like to mix different colored tomatoes in this soup. A combination of red and yellow tomatoes yields a soup that looks remarkably similar to a cream-based one. - WinnieAb - WinnieAb
Food52 Review: A very simple and lovely soup, especially with the avocado on top. - Cecilia - The Editors
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 Tb. bottled sun-dried tomatoes in oil (or 3 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water to hydrate for 15-20 minutes, and then drained plus 2 tsp. olive oil)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- additional fresh basil and diced avocado for garnish- optional
- Place all ingredients, except those for the garnish, in a blender (I use a "Blendtec") and process until fairly smooth. If you want it to be completely pureed, blend away until it’s the consistency you like; I personally prefer it to retain some texture. Pour into bowl(s) and add diced avocado and additional fresh basil to garnish, if desired. Serves 1-2; I can easily eat this whole recipe myself.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.