If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this recipe for my dear friend and mentor, Deborah, whose celebrations of the holidays of her faith are always meaningful and inspiring. In my adaptation of this symbolic Rosh Hashanah dish, I chose to cut the traditional carrots into coins (roundness), to use plums (fullness, roundness), and to incorporate both honey and apple cider (sweetness). - Sandy Smith
Serves 4-6 side-dish servings
- 4 medium carrots, washed and peeled
- 4 purple or black plums (not prune plums)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice carrots into coins with a crinkle cutter or a regular chef's knife. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Pit and slice plums and add slices to carrots in bowl.
- Sprinkle grated ginger over carrots and plum slices; drizzle with olive oil. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper; toss to coat evenly.
- Brush a baking sheet with oil. Pour carrot mixture out onto baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Roast at 400 degrees F until fork tender, about 15 minutes, turning over once with a wide spatula.
- While the carrots and plums are roasting, prepare the honey-apple cider reduction sauce. Place apple cider in a small saucepan and stir in honey and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium-low and let simmer actively until the sauce is reduced by half and is somewhat syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, if using.
- Place roasted carrot mixture in a serving bowl and pour sauce over. Garnish with toasted chopped walnuts if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums
Recipe of the Day
Grilled Brie Sandwiches With Honey, Pistachio, and Kale Pesto
Shop Spring Cleaning
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart