If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What do you get when you subscribe to a CSA and then lose your electricity for a week due to a storm? Creativity without an oven... Note: we do have a generator and a gas stove, so the only thing I can't do is use the oven, the garbage disposal or the microwave (all hard-wired) so it's not really THAT bad... ;-) —DeArmasA
- new potatoes
- beets (any variety)
- olive oil
- seasonings of your preference
- minced garlic, to taste
- apple cider vinegar
- Scrub and slice new potatoes, beets and carrots into equal 1/2 inch widths. If you've made bacon for breakfast in a large skillet and left the grease in the pan, heat up the bacon grease, add as much garlic as you like, saute briefly, add sliced potatoes, carrots and beets and season liberally. Continue to saute vegetables at med-high heat for about 10-15 minutes or until vegetables start to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add apple cider vinegar until vegetables stop sticking and begin to simmer. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Transfer vegetables to a food processor, and add butter and milk to taste. Process until desired consistency. Add cheese to your preference.
- At this point, if you have an oven to use, feel free to transfer mix to a casserole dish and heat until bubbly. Or, if you have no power, transfer to a cookie sheet greased with olive oil and smooth until flat and even. Place cookie sheet on the gas grill set on med-low. Watch carefully so that the bottom does not burn!
- When bubbly, remove from the grill and cover with tin foil to keep warm. Serve with any meat from your freezer that you are now grilling because you have no power. Enjoy your meal by candlelight or the glow of your headlamp!
What and where to eat on Maryland's eastern shore
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Transform the humble shoebox.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Summer, please don't go.
Get your shine on.