If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been making Albondigas for years, but my favorite recipe is this one which I've adopted from Rick Bayliss' "Mexican Everyday". When my husband is in a bad mood, a plate of these works everytime! - annemax
- 3 slices bacon cut in 1" pieces
- 3 cloves, garlic
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs. or 3/4 cup panko (I use panko)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, coarsly chopped
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice (fire roasted best)
- 1-2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, and 1-2 tablespoons of the canning sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a food processor combine the bacon and 1of the garlic cloves. Process until finely chopped.
- Add the eggs, bread crumbs, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pulse to combine thoroughly, then add the pork and mint.
- Pulse until everything is just combined, but not over-processed into a paste.
- Form the meat into 16 two inch balls, and space them out on a 13x9" baking dish (I use a gratin pan). Bake about 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- While the meatballs are cooking, combine the tomatoes, their juice, chipotles, and the canning sauce, oregano, the 2 remaining garlic cloves cut in half, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor. Process to a smooth puree.
- Since I use a ceramic baking dish, I heat the puree for 2-3 minutes in the microwave so I don't break another dish.
- When the meatballs are lightly browned, pour the tomato puree over them, covering them evenly. Bake until the sauce thickens about 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs
The Genius Secret Weapon You Should Always Have on Hand
Freeze it right there.
A genius secret weapon for your freezer.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
You won't be board with this game.