If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This discovery came to me while contemplating making a lasagna vs. spaghetti/meatballs. Essentially, lasagna can be thought of as an all-in-one, combo meal...so why not make spaghetti and meatballs too? This recipe incorporates all of the components in one, super-flavorful, yummy ball! —Mariya
- 2 cups bowtie pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion-small dice
- 1 tablespoon garlic-minced
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef-grass fed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dried currants (or diced dried cranberries or apricots)
- 1/4 cup pistachios-shelled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store bought-organic)-divided
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1.5 tablespoons black pepper
- In a saucepan, cook pasta according to directions; if you typically like it al dente, cook it 2 minutes longer this time; remove from heat, drizzle with 1 T olive oil (so it doesn't stick), and reserve.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a pan and add onions; cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer; remove contents of the pan and reserve.
- In a large bowl, mix onion/garlic mixture, ground beef, eggs, paprika, nutmeg, cayenne, oregano, currants, pistachios, cheese, half of the tomato sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Working in batches, dice bowties on a cutting board.
- Add to the beef mixture and mix well.
- Roll mixture into 1 to 2 inch balls.
- On medium, heat 1 T olive oil in a pan and add meat balls to the pan; add the remaining 1/2 cup tomato sauce to the pan and cook for ~10-12 minutes, or until cooked through.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs
What to Watch (and Cook to) on Netflix
Eat this from the comfort of your couch
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
It's time to travel.
Hone and design links we love.
Off to market.