If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In prime tomato season there are more cherry tomatoes than you know what to do with. This is a foolproof tomato tart. It borrows the crust from Food52's Summer Heirloom Tomato Tart and the ricotta paste from Caprese Tart. The key move is to pre-dehydrate the tomatoes to prevent sogginess. - Eric Liftin
Serves 8 small portions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup ice water
- many super ripe cherry tomatoes
- First cut all the cherry tomatoes in half, equatorially. Arrange them in a layer, cut side up, in a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 275º while preparing the crust.
- Mix together basil, salt, and flour. Mix in oil and butter until dough is coarse lumps.
- Using a fork, mix in the water until the dough is pliable and smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least ½ hour.
- Press dough into tart pan with your fingers in a uniform, thin layer.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for ½ hour. Check to see if the tomatoes have started to dehydrate. You don't want fully roasted or dried, just to lose excess water. Remove the tomatoes and set aside. Preheat oven to 375.
- Prebake tart shell. Lightly cover top of shell with foil, fill with dried beans or rice, and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove foil with rice/beans, prick the bottom of the shell all over with a fork, and return to oven for another 5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
Completing the tart
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1 egg
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- Mix together in a bowl the cheeses and egg with salt and pepper. This can be done by hand whisk or food processor. You may add a couple of tablespoons of pine nuts if you like and you're using the food processor.
- spread the paste evenly in the crust. Lay in the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and cook until lightly browned, around 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Mom's (The) Best
Mom's Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli
Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu
DIY Herb Rub
Easy-going banana bread.
Go play outside!