If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My scallop and corn gyoza recipe was originally made for a friend's birthday party. The sweet, soft scallops are perfect inside these dumplings, but are made even more delectable with the addition of fresh, crisp corn. The corn also helps make the texture refreshingly unique in comparison to most gyoza fillings. I created this recipe after eating many gyoza in Tokyo, my current home. Enjoy!
- Rachael White
Makes 36-40 gyoza
Scallop & Corn Gyoza
- 1 package round wonton wrappers
- 1/3 pound (or about 4) large sea scallops, chopped
- 1/4 head Nappa Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 ear fresh corn, cut off the cob, not cooked
- 1/3 cup Chinese chives
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, chives, corn and scallops. In a small bowl, combine the grated ginger and garlic along with the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the scallop and veggie mixture. Stir to coat the ingredients. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop a small spoonful of the filling into the center of the gyoza wrappers. Fold the wrapper around the filling and use a fork to seal the edges.
- Place the gyoza in a steamer and cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Work in batches, placing the steamed gyoza on a plate. You may end the cooking process here, or continue reading for instructions on pan frying.
- To pan fry: Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Place the gyoza in the pan and fry for 2 minutes or until the bottom is brown and crisp. Reduce the heat and add 1/4 cup water. Cover the pan and allow the gyoza to steam in the pan (this ensures the wrappers are tender and soft rather than chewy). Transfer the gyoza to a plate and serve with Sambal Dipping Sauce (recipe below.)
Sambal Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup sambal sauce
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Done!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.