If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This easy dish has become a family staple at Thanksgiving. My mom used to make it with canned corn when we lived in Europe in the 70's, since we couldn't get fresh corn. (Corn was raised there as a farm animal feed.) I've since added some things and tweaked the list of ingredients she used, to make it more flavorful and less sodium-packed. Happily, it remains true to her original. —zieker
- 3 cups fresh sweet corn, cut off the cob (about 4-5 cobs of corn) or one small bag of frozen sweet corn (thawed)
- 2 cans of creamed style corn
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup half n'half (heavy cream or whole milk can be substituted in a pinch)
- 1 green or red bell pepper
- 2 Jalepeños, finely diced
- 1/2 Medium-sized onion, finely diced
- 3 fresh cloves of garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 long sleeve of saltine crakers
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups Colby or Monterey Jack Cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the cream style corn with the fresh or frozen whole kernel corn, parsley, and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs into the Half n'Half until blended, and mix into corn.
- Sauteé the bell pepper, jalepeños, onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender, then stir into corn mixture.
- Melt the butter and stir into corn mixture.
- Holding the sleeve of crackers over the bowl, crush them with your hands inside the sleeve until they’re coarsely crumbled. (Don’t crush them to a fine powder, it makes the Casserole mushy in texture). Fold them into the corn mixture.
- Pour mixture into a flat or round casserole pan that's been thoroughly sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hr and 15 mins., or until set in the middle and a deep golden brown on top. (Bake 1 hr if using a flat pan. Add more time if center is not set.)
- Options: Substitute cilantro for parsley. Add the cheese for a creamy, cheese-y bite.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.