If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Indian chutney can be thickened with grated cucumber, providing cooling, hot and sweet relish to any main. It can be thinned with more yogurt, to liqueify and take on the role of 'dressing'. Whatever, however, we love it with rice and on salads
- Kitchen Butterfly
- 1/2 cup of thick yogurt (I used Turkish yogurt, similar to Greek yogurt)
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves, washed
- 25 g fresh mint leaves, washed
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves, without skin
- 1 green chilli pepper or 1/2 jalapeno
- Caster sugar, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium cucumber (optional)
- Vegetables to serve - pepper stricks, cucumber fingers, cauliflower and broccoli florets, carrot sticks
- In a mortar and pestle or food processor, make a paste of the coriander and mint leaves, garlic cloves and chilli pepper. You will need to add the chilli in little bits to control the heat,
- Season the herby paste with sugar (starting with 1/2 a teaspoon) and adjusting to taste. Season with salt to balance flavours - it should be a touch sweet, well salted and pleasantly hot. Stir the green paste into the yogurt, taste and adjust the sugar and salt and use as is/refrigerate. Alternatively, continue to the next step.
- If adding cucumbers, skin it (if you like) before grating. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the grated cucumber and place it in a colander to drain for 15 minutes so the liquids are drawn out.
- Stir into the yogurt-herby mix. Refrigerate till ready to serve. Then pack a platter with the vegetables and chomp away
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment