If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I started making this stuff a few years ago when we had a mushroom pepper plant (similar to a habanero) that was prolific and the peppers were super tasty ... that plant volunteered back for 3 years but not this year - boo - so this time I used alternate peppers. Use your judgement on how spicy you like things, this version has a nice little back burn but is not too hot (to us). Also I was going to put additional habaneros and call it Bugs Bunny's Butt Burner but Mr L talked me out of it. You can send him your thanks :-) —aargersi
- 1 medium onion
- 7 large carrots (if you can get organic ones it is worth the extra $$ - their flavor is amazing)
- 2 cups chicken broth (low salt)
- 3 hungarian wax peppers
- 1 habanero
- 1 large knob of ginger - about 2 inches
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup amino acids (these have a nice mild saltiness - if you can't find them use soy sauce but use less and taste for salt level)
- olive oil for the pan
- Peel and chop the onion and carrots - don't be fancy you are going to grind them up anyhow
- Add oil to a big skillet and heat to med - high. Saute the onions for a couple minutes until they start to go clear, then add the carrots. Saute a couple more minutes then add the broth. Simmer uncovered until the carrots are tender but not mushy, maybe 20-30 minutes.
- While those are cooking, peel and chop the ginger, also de-seed and de-vein the peppers, and chop them. I usually throw caution to the wind but with the habanero I do wear gloves.
- Add the ginger and peppers, amino acids and vinegar to the pan and cook just a few more minutes, then turn off the heat and let them cool a bit.
- Now take the whole thing and put it in your processor or blender - depending how big it is you may need to do 2 batches. Whiz it all up - not TOO smooth, taste for salt and adjust if needed.
- This is good warm or cold - I am having it warm with a gingered grilled salmon tonight, and Mr L is having it cold on a sausage dog tomorrow.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.