Author Notes: This is a great accompaniment to Indian spiced chicken or grilled mahi-mahi. This always gets rave reviews when I make it. I suggest using only fresh ingredients (not from a can or jar) for this recipe. - Sadassa_Ulna
Serves approx. 2 cups
- 1 large fresh ripe pineapple
- 5 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed, strained
- 1 fresh ginger root, three inch piece
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 fresh mild green chile
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Peel and grate the ginger root; lightly press into a fine mesh strainer over a medium mixing bowl to collect the juice. Discard the pulp.
- Slice the green chile into thin slices and then into 1" long pieces. Add to the ginger juice in bowl.
- Add all other ingredients except pineapple, whisk thoroughly.
- Peel and core the pineapple; cut into 1/2" thick slices, then into 1" squares. Add to the mix in bowl. Stir lightly.
- Chill for minimum one hour or overnight, covered.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment