If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by my lovely CSA box, which provided me with a bounty of delicious, sugary little tomatillos this week, along with a cucumber. This salsa is really really verde. Everything in it is green basically, which is why I like it. Go green or go home, as they say. —whatsjohneating
Makes a party's worth
- 1 pound tomatillos, skin removed
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 jalapeños peppers, seeds removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- dashes of salt
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Cut tomatillos in half and put into a bowl with chunks of onion, peppers halved, olive oil and salt. Put all of these onto a parchment papered baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes at 350º F. When they are done, the tomatillos should be squishy and just a little brown on the tips and should taste concentrated and sour-sweet.
- After letting these cool for little, blend 'em up until they're nice and pureed.
- So now for the cucumber. Half of your cuke is going to get pureed with the salsa and the other half is going to chunk it up with the other chunks (avos). So halve your (peeled) cucumber and cut into into medium sized chunks and puree it with the other ingredients. At this point, if you're using a standing blender, you can pour the salsa into a bowl. The other half of the cuke gets diced into smallish squares and thrown in.
- Finally, dice up your avocado (same size as the cucumber) rough chop your cilantro, add in the lime juice and enough water until the salsa is the consistency that you want it and let it soak for a couple of hours so the flavors can combine. Garnish with a couple of cucumber slices and serve with tortilla chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).