Author Notes: I love butternut squash soup, but I hate when it is laden with cream. I created this in my pursuit of a fresh and light soup. - Hilarybee
Serves 4 dinner portions; 6-8 side dish portions
- 1 medium butternut squash, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 3-4 stalks of fresh lemon grass
- 1 Cortland apple, chopped
- 32 ounces of vegetable stock
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, cleaned and peeled
- regular coconut milk, to taste
- Place the squash, apple, lemongrass, ginger and stock in a stock pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- Let the mixture cool for about 5-10 minutes. It should still be warm, but not hot. Pick out the lemongrass stalks. Puree using an immersion blender. Reheat to desired temperature when ready to serve.
- Spoon soup into bowls. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of coconut milk in each bowl before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Butternut Squash